The Plymale Cottage
A friend of 0-1-8-6-2-1
Eunice Eloise Plymale's niece 0-1-8-6-2-2-1
Mary Patricia Plymale, discovered a restaurant in Jacksonville, Oregon (in the 1970's)
called "The Plymale Cottage." She stopped there to eat and even brought
back a copy of their menu. The front of the menu says:
The Plymale Cottage 1865
(there is a picture of a house)
180 North Oregon, Jacksonville, Oregon 97530
Maryannette McLaughlin Kitchen
On the inside is this story:
THE PLYMALE STORY
Gabriel and Mary Ann Plymale crossed the plains from Illinois in 1852
with their seven children: Frances M., William J., Sebastian, Sarah, Narissa, Pauline and
Emmacita. They arrived in Jacksonville in October and Mr. Plymale died one month later.
William Jasper Plymale was twice elected County Surveyor of Jackson
County. In 1874 he was elected to the legislature. They lived where the present post
office is located. When a fire broke out at the David Linn Furniture Factory next door,
their residence on the North side of the factory was destroyed. They escaped with only the
clothes on their backs.
The history of the present Plymale Rouse is rather vague, but it is
believed to have belonged to Lewis R. Zigler, a Jacksonville blacksmith who had married
Sarah Plymale in 1855. An 1870 census records her mother, Mary Ann and sister, Emma
Plymale, living in this house with the Zigler family. Later the Ziglers moved to Roseburg
where Sarah died at the age of 66.
Mrs. Mary Ann Plymale, the mother of the family, continued to live in
Jacksonville until her death April 3, 1875.